Friday, April 08, 2005

Does Arizona Family Law Require a Parent to Pay for a Child's College Education?

Answer: Normally not. Unless a parent agrees to pay for a child's college education and formally obligates him/herself to do so, a parent is not so required. In other words, there is no Arizona family law requiring a parent to pay for his or her child's college education.

However, state laws on this subject vary and it is possible that Arizona could enforce a court order for a parent to pay for college costs entered in another state's family court. This could happen because the parent ordered to pay moved to Arizona and the divorce decree was domesticated in Arizona (meaning the divorce decree was officially transferred to Arizona for purposes of enforcement in our family courts).

Wilcox & Wilcox, P.C.
Trent Wilcox
For the Firm

Phoenix office:
3030 N. Central Ave., Ste. 705
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
Ph: 602-631-9555
Fx: 602-631-4004

Goodyear office:
1616 N. Litchfield Rd., Ste. 240
Goodyear, Arizona 85338
Ph: 623-344-7880
Fx: 602-631-4004

Visit our website:

Disclaimer: Providing the above information does not establish an
attorney-client relationship. To create such a relationship, both the
attorney and potential client must sign a written fee agreement. The
information contained herein is meant only as general information and is not meant to be relied upon for the purpose of taking legal action. You should contact an attorney in person for further and specific information. Wilcox & Wilcox, P.C. attorneys are licensed in Arizona only except for personal injury attorney Robert N. Edwards, who is licensed in Arizona and Minnesota.

Blog Search Engine -Search Engine and Directory of blogs. Looking for blogs? Find them on
Web Blog Pinging Service
 Blog Top Sites