Saturday, June 04, 2005

May Minors Marry in Arizona?

Answer: Under certain circumstances, as dictated by Arizona law. Specifically, the relevant statute states as follows:

A.R.S. ยง25-102. Consent Required for Marriage of Minors.

A. Persons under eighteen years of age shall not marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of such person. Persons under sixteen years of age shall not marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of that person and the approval of any superior court judge in the state. When both parents are living the consent of either parent is sufficient. When the parents are living apart, the consent shall be given by the parent who has the custody of the minor.

B. Before authorizing the marriage of a person who is under sixteen years of age, the court: 1. Shall require both parties to the marriage to complete premarital counseling. The court may waive this requirement if the court determines that premarital counseling is not reasonably available. 2. Must find that the minor is entering into the marriage voluntarily. 3. Must find that the marriage is in the best interests of the minor under the circumstances. 4. May require that the minor continue to attend school. 5. May require any other condition that the court determines is reasonable under the circumstances.

C. A marriage shall not take place under this section if it is prohibited by the law relating to prohibited and void marriages.

Wilcox & Wilcox, P.C.
Trent Wilcox
For the Firm

Phoenix office:
3030 N. Central Ave., Ste. 705
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
Ph: 602-631-9555
Fx: 602-631-4004

Goodyear office:
1616 N. Litchfield Rd., Ste. 240
Goodyear, Arizona 85338
Ph: 623-344-7880
Fx: 602-631-4004

Visit our website:

Disclaimer: Providing the above information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. To create such a relationship, both the attorney and potential client must sign a written fee agreement. The information contained herein is meant only as general information and is not meant to be relied upon for the purpose of taking legal action. You should contact an attorney in person for further and specific information. Wilcox & Wilcox, P.C. attorneys are licensed in Arizona only except for personal injury attorney Robert N. Edwards, who is licensed in Arizona and Minnesota.

Blog Search Engine -Search Engine and Directory of blogs. Looking for blogs? Find them on
Web Blog Pinging Service
 Blog Top Sites